Touch screen computers and laptops are very advantageous in today’s world. Whether you use it for work or entertainment, you can scroll and open files just by tapping the screen.
Just like any device, your touch screen laptop also gets dirty from time to time. In addition to the dirt, your fingerprints make it cloudy as well. And working on a device that looks dirty will not give you a good experience.
Therefore, we will present to you a detailed guideline on how you can clean your touch screen laptop so that it gets rid of the dust particles and looks shiny. And the best part is that you can do it all by yourself! Let’s get right into it.
How To Clean Laptop Screen At Home?
You can clean your laptop screen at home by yourself with some tools that keep lurking around your home. We have listed below some of the ways you can clean your laptop based on what kind of condition your laptop is in.
To remove dust, there is a very simple solution, which is a microfiber cloth. This material is widely used for cleaning sensitive surfaces.
- Turn off your laptop first.
- Use the microfiber cloth to clean the touchscreen of your laptop thoroughly.
- Apply gentle pressure to the screen, do not rub harshly.
- Wipe in one direction only or the dirt at one side of the screen may get stuck on the other side.
You can also use a mild solution of screen-safe water or soap if you think the dust is too sticky. You can find commercial disinfectant wipes which are also used to disinfect devices.
Grime and Dirt
When your device is too dirty and sticky, a piece of microfiber cloth alone cannot bring about much of a change. In that case, what you need is a new sponge (the ones for washing dishes) and some distilled or filtered water.
- Dip the sponge in water and squeeze it to remove excess water from it
- Apply gentle pressure to wipe the laptop screen and clean up the dirt
- If you notice any water drops on the screen, wipe them off immediately
- Let the laptop screen dry completely and then you can use it
Sticky And Oily Substances
If the laptop screen is not fully clean even after following the two methods above, then the screen may have come in contact with some greasy or sticky. These substances may be stuck on the screen which is preventing them to come off.
For this issue, you can use a screen-safe cleaning agent with the help of a microfiber cloth to get rid of all those greasy substances.
- First, spray the cleaning agent on the microfiber cloth
- Ensure that the cloth is not wet; remove excess cleaning agent from the cloth
- Wipe in a circular motion outward, starting from the center of the screen to the corners
- Do not apply too much pressure while you clean and do it until the device is completely clean
Can You Clean Laptop Screen With Water Safely?
You can clean your laptop using water, as some of the ways we mentioned involve the use of water. Apart from cleaning dust, all the ways involve using water while cleaning.
However, you must do so carefully since laptops are electronic devices, and water is not a good friend of electronics. Here are some precautions you can take to use water safely when cleaning your laptop screen.
- Turn off your laptop before you start the cleaning process. You can even remove the battery if you can for extra safety
- Do not use tap water in any circumstances; it contains minerals that may damage your laptop screen
- Always use a microfiber cloth or sponge when cleaning your laptop screen with water or water-based products. Do not spray or pour water directly onto the screen
- Squeeze the microfiber cloth or sponge as much as possible to remove excess liquid. Make sure that the cloth or sponge is damp, not wet
- Clean very gently; do not put much pressure on the screen
- The cloth or sponge will be a damper, in the beginning, so do not start from the corners as the liquid may get into the device
- You can use silicone keyboard covers to cover the keyboard to prevent water from entering the device through the keys
- Do not use liquids that may damage your touch screen
- Use a disinfectant after you are done cleaning the screen
- Let the laptop screen dry; turn on the laptop after several hours
What Are The Dos and Donts For Cleaning A Touch Screen Laptop?
The laptop screen is a very sensitive part of a laptop. So you should not use any cleaning product as you might damage the screen while cleaning it. We have listed some safe products that you can use to clean your laptop screen and some products that should not be used.
- Isopropyl alcohol solution of concentration less than 70%
- 1:1 ratio of white vinegar and distilled water
- Screen-safe cleaning solutions
- The bleach used for household cleaning with a concentration of one-third cup bleach in a gallon of distilled water
- Screen-safe disinfectant wipes
- A mixture of a tiny amount of dishwashing detergent and distilled water
- Tap water
- Glass cleaners
- Any alcohol solution of more than 70% concentration
- Makeup removers
- Detergents containing ammonia or fluoride
- Methyl or ethyl solutions stronger than 35%
- Sponges with abrasives and abrasives and detergents
- Wool or ordinary cloth
How To Clean The Laptop Keyboard?
You wouldn’t want to keep your laptop half dirty, right? Why not clean the keyboard after cleaning the screen to make it look shinier?
Note that there is a high chance of liquid getting into the device. So instead of any liquid, we can use a safe method to clean it.
- Wipe the keyboard starting from a direction to remove the maximum amount of dust and grimes using a microfiber cloth
- Spray compressed air to clean the parts of the keyboard which are hard to reach with a cloth
- You can use a damp microfiber cloth to get rid of spillages like juice
- Disinfect the keyboard after you have cleaned it and let it dry
How Can You Maintain the Cleanliness of Your Touch Screen Laptop?
A laptop is a device we carry everywhere we go and this is the device that accompanies us all day. It will get dirty every so often. These are some tips that you can follow to make sure your laptop looks clean you feel good when working on it.
- Clean it regularly so that it does not become too dirty
- Keep the lid closed whenever you are not working
- Do not keep any liquid near the laptop; in case you spill something, clean it immediately before it dries and it will make the cleaning process so much easier
- Do not keep your laptop in direct sunlight; UV radiation may damage the screen
Just how we cannot risk our laptop getting viruses and install antivirus, our laptop needs physical cleaning too. Think about your productivity when your laptop is looking all clean and when your laptop looks oh-not-so-good, big difference right?
Along with your productivity levels, cleaning your laptop regularly also boosts its durability and condition.
However, when a touch screen laptop comes into question, the cleaning procedure needs to be carried out carefully, making the safety of the screen the top priority.
We hope that after going through the article, you have gained knowledge about what to do and not to do when you are cleaning your precious device.