A laptop is a device that we use regularly and without it, our lives are impossible. Sometimes we cover our laptops with decorative stickers that make our laptops aesthetically pleasing or the stickers that come with the laptop itself.
Whether you try to remove it after a certain time or not, the sticker will eventually start to come out at one point, which leaves your laptop with some residue stickers on it. This does not only look bad with a stockpile of dirt particles but also feels sticky and uncomfortable.
So we are going to give you a few guidelines which will help you to get rid of sticker residue on your laptop. You will get to make your device spotless and polished with a few products which might already be in your cabinet!
How To Get Rid Of Sticker Residue On Your Laptop
Scrape The Residue
This does not even need saying and we are sure that you have already tried scratching the remaining sticker from the surface of your laptop.
If you haven’t tried it, scrape the residue of the sticker with your fingernail or a thick plastic card. It is effective when there is a little amount of sticker remaining on the laptop’s surface. After you have got rid of all the stickers, the laptop’s surface may be sticky, so you can use wipes containing alcohol to clean it off.
Use A Heat Source
Scraping can be ineffective if the residue is more in amount. Now is the time to find out that a hairdryer can do much more than just drying your hair. You can use a hairdryer in its lowest heat setting to warm up the residue sticker which will make it softer. You can easily scrape it off then.
Make sure the heat is low and the laptop does not get in contact with the heat for too long as it may harm the laptop.
Abrasives are very useful to dissolve away stickers from surfaces. Many mild abrasives are used widely, such as magic erasers, baking soda paste, and even toothpaste!
You can make baking soda paste using some baking soda, vinegar, and water. Ensure that the abrasive is mild and do not rub harshly as it may even produce scratches on the surface of your laptop.
This is a great solution for stickers that have been removed recently. Take a clean and soft piece of cloth and soak it in warm water. Squeeze the cloth to remove excess water from it. Take a drop or two of a good dish soap that can remove greases.
Scrub the area of the residue sticker gently. Once all of the stickers come off, pat dry with a tissue or paper towel and swipe an alcohol wipe over the area.
Using Adhesive Tapes
This is a brilliant way to remove residue from your laptop. Put tape on the area where the residue is and make sure it is attached firmly. Now pull off the sticker promptly. The tape will come off with the residue sticking on it!
We recommend you clean the surface of your laptop with alcohol every time you use something on it to get rid of the stickiness, right? But this time, you can kill two birds with one stone!
Take a microfiber cloth and soak it in rubbing alcohol. Make sure the alcohol is not too concentrated because the surface of your laptop may get damaged. Concentration under 70% will do.
Leave the damped cloth on the area of your residue sticker so that it gets soft. Then you can scrub to remove it. The process can be repeated until you remove all the stickers.
Using Oil Or Oil-Based Products
This process gives great results when the sticker does not have a plastic layer on top. But you can give it a try and see if it works for you.
You can use cooking oil, petroleum gel, olive oil, and even butter! As long as it contains oil, it will work. Take a small amount of the oil you are using on a piece of microfiber cloth and apply it to the area of your laptop. Wait for some time for the sticker to absorb the oil and then scrub it off.
Clean the oil from your laptop’s surface as soon as you are done removing the sticker or else it may discolor your laptop, which will make your laptop look even worse than some residue sticker.
Removing Laptop Stickers Without Damaging Them
• The best option you can choose is to buy residue-free stickers on your laptop. You will have a win-win situation as they will not leave any residue on your laptop, and you can also reuse them without damaging the sticker itself!
• If you are using regular stickers, you can follow the guidelines mentioned above, which involve scraping with your fingernail or a plastic knife to remove the sticker off your laptop. You can also use a hairdryer to soften up the adhesive which will ensure your stickers do not get damaged as well as making the process much easier.
• You can use an oily substance under the stickers to get rid of the adhesive as you pull the sticker off.
If you have managed to take off the sticker from your laptop, you can reuse them using adhesive spray or wax paper. You can also buy residue-free reusable stickers if you do not want to deal with all the hassle.
Removing Laptop Skin
Laptop skins are pasted on the surface of the laptop which covers the whole area of the laptop lid. However, the process of removing small stickers and laptop skins is the same.
• Turn off and remove any plugs from your laptop
• Use your fingernail or a thin plastic knife and try to lift the laptop skin off starting from one end
• Once you manage to lift off some stickers off so that you can hold them with your finger, place one hand on the laptop and use the other hand to pull the remaining sticker off
• If you want to reuse it again, make sure you pull it off carefully so that it does not tear off
• When you have removed the sticker properly, you can use alcohol wipes to disinfect it and remove the adhesive as well You may leave some residue while peeling off the sticker. If you have, do not worry, and follow the tips mentioned above and you will be able to remove the residue easily.
Safety Features To Maintain
• Since the removal of residue stickers involve wet products, make sure you turn off the laptop before you start.
• If you are using a hairdryer, do not use excess heat to soften up the residue. Use the lowest heat and the heating source at 30-second intervals.
• If you are using abrasives, go for the mildest ones.
• Check the alcohol concentration before using it on your laptop. The concentration should be less than 70%.
• Many products used are wet ones. Remove the excess solution off the cloth when using it on the laptop by squeezing it.
• Do not apply liquid products directly on the laptop.
• Do not use makeup remover as a replacement for alcohol.
• Stay away from holes or ports on the laptop when you are using any wet product.
• Do not use any sharp objects like a blade to scrape off the sticker residue
• Ensure that you use alcohol to disinfect the area after removing the residue.
• Do not turn on the laptop or put another sticker immediately after finishing. Give some time to dry.
We sure love to decorate anything and everything around us, so why not our laptops too?
As the collection of your stickers more, you will also want to remove the old ones and replace them with the latest design of stickers. So, if you are wondering how you can do that, our elaborate guide will help you do your thing. And what’s most surprising is you can do it all with just a few home supplies.
Now, every time you remove your sticker or change it, your laptop will give off a new and fresh look!